Buchanan’s is a great place to grow!
We’re always looking for good people!
Work in a great setting with a friendly garden center team.
Buchanan’s is a great shopping experience and a fun place to work.
If you love gardening and thrive in an upbeat, service-focused, outdoor environment,
we may have the perfect opportunity for you!
Buchanan’s is always looking for smiling faces. Does this sound like you?
Cashiers – Full & Part Time
Receiving Supervisor – Full Time
Perennial Sales Associate – Full Time
Bungalow Sales Associate – Full Time
Annuals Sales Associate – Full Time
Labor & Support – Full & Part Time
Cashier Job Description
You’re the kind of person that loves engaging with other people: You’re never shy about talking to strangers. Smiling just comes natural to you! You always want to make a great impression on customers and make sure they feel welcome and taken care of. Manners are important to you both in face-to-face encounters and on the phone. In fact, juggling phone calls and the customer standing in front of you in a professional manner is a skill you’ve mastered. You’re never too busy to make sure a customer gets exactly what they need.
You’re computer savvy and have two years of register experience. Handling cash, making calculations and properly counting back change is no problem for you. You like keeping things tidy and will make sure that between customers you keep the register areas tidy and stocked with cashier supplies. Plus, you’re independently motivated: You don’t need someone reminding you about your daily duties.
You might have some gardening experience…but if you don’t then you at least have an interest in learning. You’re not afraid to be honest when you don’t know the answer and have no problem linking the customer up with sales staff that can help. You’re looking for a part time or full time job and are available to work weekends. Heat and rain don’t bother you because you prefer being outdoors.
Are you inexperienced on the register but have a passion for wanting to work at an independent garden center? Tell us your story and we’ll happily consider your application!
Receiving Supervisor Job Description
- Oversee and coordinate all receiving in both the Soil Lot and East Lot.
- Coordinate with SALs prior to when incoming trucks are expected; be cognizant of order size, shipping methods, locate price tags and get carts/racks ready.
- Will train staff in proper procedures for safely and efficiently receiving, delivering, unloading, checking, pricing, etc. — all activities that occur in both lots.
- Will delegate trained “unloaders” and “checkers” for each truck as needed.
- Will ensure that receiving paperwork is checked, signed and handled according to SOP.
- Coordinate with SALs and visual merchandiser in pricing and distributing received goods to the floor for sale safely, quickly and efficiently.
- Work to maintain good relations with vendors, shippers, and drivers.
- Arrange, delegate, train, and oversee customer deliveries. Do deliveries when necessary or for training purposes. Ensure all associated paperwork is handled according to SOP.
- Inform SAL or MOD of any product issues (quality control) prior to delivery driver departure.
- Ensure that BNP delivery protocol is followed and report any problems to the MOD.
- Oversee Fedex and UPS deliveries. Ensure that all deliveries are accounted for and are taken to the proper area for processing.
- Assign back-up for receiving during heavy delivery days and lunch breaks.
- Act as primary forklift operator for the garden center.
Maintaining Delivery Areas
- Keep racks and carts organized and available ahead of time for receiving, according to what vendors are coming – i.e. do they drop off their racks in exchange for others? Do we unload their racks onto ours? Do we unload onto the ground?
- Make sure racks to be used are in good condition and have proper shelf spacing for maximum utility.
- Ensure both lots are organized, clean, and free of debris; ready for the next day.
- Make sure dumpsters are managed and access is clear for trash trucks.
- Keep empty pallets neat and disposed of as needed.
- Organize and ensure recyclable flats and trays are sent back with trucks when possible.
- Monitor all company vehicles; IE: forklift propane levels, truck maintenance, van maintenance, following all BNP protocol when using any company vehicle
- Able to consistently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Experience operating a forklift. Able to safely demonstrate that experience and pass a written test for in-house certification.
- Prior experience in a retail receiving department is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of landscape plants and/or care of live goods helpful but not required.
- Able to work as a team member and be a primary form of contact in a dynamic work environment.
- Must have a state of Texas driver license
- Communication skills are a MUST!
Sales Associate Job Description
When it comes to gardening, you really know your stuff. You have a good 2-5 years of experience working in the gardening or landscape industry; better yet you have retail garden center experience. You have a solid feel for our Houston climate and are very comfortable making good plant recommendations. Hot weather? Not a problem for you because you prefer to be outdoors. Rain? No problem either, because you won’t melt. Dirt under your fingernails? Always.
You know how important it is to help customers be successful and you’re focused on teaching them the best way to use what they buy. When you see a customer you know it’s your first priority to make contact and welcome them. Then, help them focus on products that will help them be successful with their project. Providing the most accurate information about the plants and products is key to building trust with the customer. If they’re not successful the first time around, you’ll be there to get them back on track with a smile!
You also know that in order to make great sales, plants and products need to look their best. So between customers, you have no problem watering, unloading racks or cleaning what needs to be cleaned. Because you’re self-motivated, you don’t need someone checking up on you to make sure you’re always being productive. You’re not afraid to admit what you don’t know or ask for help from other staff. You take pride in your work and have a passion for what you do. That passion might have led you to already complete a TCNP/TCLP certification. If so, that’s great! If it’s still on your to-do list, we’d love to help you complete it. You’re looking for full time or part time work and are available on weekends.
Are you a passionate gardener, but perhaps don’t have official industry experience? Or perhaps you have formal horticulture education but don’t quite yet have five years of experience? Tell us your story and we’ll happily consider your application!
Labor & Support Job Description
You don’t mind get your hands dirty and moving heavy items. Hot weather? Not a problem for you because you prefer to be outdoors. Rain? No problem either, because you won’t melt. Dirt under your fingernails? Always. You’re the kind of person that loves engaging with other people: You’re never shy about talking to strangers. Smiling just comes natural to you! You always want to make a great impression on customers and make sure they feel welcome and taken care of. Manners are important to you both in face-to-face encounters and on the phone. You’re never too busy to make sure a customer gets exactly what they need.
You have an upbeat and friendly attitude and are a team player. Not to mention you are self motivated and able to multi-task like a pro! You’re looking for full time or part time work and are available on weekends. Tell us your story and we’ll happily consider your application!
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Receive and offload deliveries following the Receiving Protocol.
- Stage delivery and product placement in correct areas.
- Work with SAL’s as to how / when to place product on shade carts, etc.
- Unpacking and pricing items with coordination of SAL and proper paper work.
- Load bag goods and other unwieldy objects for customer pickup
- Ensure all facility equipment and structures are safe and maintained.
- Note damaged / inferior products and communicate to SAL
- Watering and maintain grounds
Download Employment Application
(In Acrobat PDF Format – Opens in a new window)
- Buchanan’s Native Plants of Houston is one of the leaders in the garden center industry and a member of the Texas Nursery & Landscape Association (TNLA).
- Our reputation makes us an employer of choice for gardening professionals and experienced amateur gardeners alike.
- All team members receive training in the latest native plant information and organic gardening techniques. Full-time staff may qualify for vacation and insurance benefits.
- We prefer you apply in person — come in and fill out an application (you may attach your resume) or print from the link above and bring it in. You may also send your application in advance by fax or email.
Fax to: 713-864-6008, Attn: Employment
Email: hr@BuchanansPlants.com and use “Employment” in the subject line.
Buchanan’s is a great place to grow.