Buchanan’s is a great place to grow!
We’re always looking for good people!
Work in a great setting with a friendly garden center team.
Buchanan’s is a great shopping experience and a fun place to work.
If you love gardening and thrive in an upbeat, service-focused, outdoor environment,
we may have the perfect opportunity for you!
Buchanan’s is always looking for smiling faces. Does this sound like you?
HR Generalist – Full Time
Hard Goods Sales Area Lead – Full Time
Cashiers – Full Time
Sales Associates – Perennials, Annuals, Herbs, Vegetables & Tropicals – Full Time/Part Time
Key HR Responsibilities:
· Assist in talent acquisition and recruitment processes
· Conduct employee onboarding and orientation
· Help organize training & development initiatives
· Assist in development and implementation of human resource policies
· Organize probationary and semi-annual employee performance reviews
· Administer employee benefit programs and worker’s compensation plans.
· Maintain employee files and records in electronic and paper form
· Enhance job satisfaction by resolving issues promptly, applying new perks and benefits and organizing team building activities
· Ensure compliance with labor regulations
· Maintain and update human resources documents, such as organizational charts, employee handbooks or directories, or performance evaluation forms.
Other Key Responsibilities:
· Monitor and maintain supplies for offices and nursery, as well as employee uniforms.
· Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
· Process online gift card purchases and phone transactions as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources, or related required
· 3-5 years of experience in Human Resources; additional experience may be substituted for education.
· Deep understanding of Labor Law and employment equity regulations.
· Efficient HR administration and people management skills.
· Excellent record keeping skills.
Each BNP person is an integral part of the overall success. To keep BNP operating at an efficient, effective and profitable level, all BNP members are asked to assist in different areas of the operation and to perform tasks that are outside of their day-to-day responsibilities. However, exceptional customer service is every BNP employee and leader’s responsibility
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Customer Service/Managing Department
- Sell and promote your department’s products and related goods. Selling should be your priority. Take complete responsibility for display and selling of your inventory. Use accepted selling techniques such as “suggestive selling.”
- For big sales, stay with the customer through to checkout.
- Determine the right product placement. Communicate with Head Buyer and Visual Merchandiser for merchandising plans.
- Determine and/or ensure the necessary signage is produced.
- Work with Operations Manager and Head Buyer to sales goals.
- Maintain quality control, organization and overall appearance of department.
- Put slow moving products on sale to move it out.
- Maintain neatness, trash control, restocking level and maintenance of products.
- Delegate – help keep others on task. Ensure people are not congregating around the checkout, in the Activity Center, or in the Bungalow.
- In order for sales to increase past current levels and to support upgrades in the garden center it is necessary to continuously upgrade the selling skills of everyone at Buchanan’s. Sales Area Leaders must set the pace and be an example.
- Communicate regularly with the Head Buyer as to what is needed in the department, what customers are requesting and seasonal needs. A consistent dialog is required for the success of all positions and departments.
- Supervising Personnel
- Oversee training of new hires and ensure that they are thoroughly oriented in their new job.
- Train your staff in selling techniques, product knowledge and garden center policies – see Employee Handbook. Monitor attendance, enforce policies & procedures.
- Ensure your new hires are thoroughly oriented in their new job.
- Schedule, supervise and coordinate daily employee activities for maximum productivity.
- Give and receive positive constructive performance feedback to your direct reports and other SALs.
- BNP Leadership Team Responsibilities
- All SALs should have a good understanding of all major BNP work processes and will actively support them and/or will offer work process improvement suggestions.
- All SALs will do their part to make good department and/or BNP decisions using critical thinking and decision-making practices.
- Morning Meetings: Discuss email newsletter, special events, current sales, and communicate the Garden Center’s priorities indicated by the GC Managers.
- Check in orders directly related to department and relay credits ASAP to Head Buyer.
- Participate in creating effective advertising and promotions.
- Communicate key information and/or decisions with employees and management. When a decision has been made, accurately communicate it and ensure it is understood and supported.
- Be proactive in addressing/resolving all BNP work issues with Garden Center Managers.
- Do your part to create an innovative and collaborative BNP culture.
- Do your part to cross-train people in your department’s products and support other SALs in cross-training your direct reports.
- Do your part to ensure BNP is a safe place for customers and employees; identify safety hazards and mitigate them.
- Walk around periodically throughout the day to check parking lots and entrances to ensure proper housekeeping and deter theft.
You’re the kind of person that loves engaging with other people: You’re never shy about talking to strangers. Smiling just comes natural to you! You always want to make a great impression on customers and make sure they feel welcome and taken care of. Manners are important to you both in face-to-face encounters and on the phone. In fact, juggling phone calls and the customer standing in front of you in a professional manner is a skill you’ve mastered. You’re never too busy to make sure a customer gets exactly what they need.
You’re computer savvy and have two years of register experience. Handling cash, making calculations and properly counting back change is no problem for you. You like keeping things tidy and will make sure that between customers you keep the register areas tidy and stocked with cashier supplies. Plus, you’re independently motivated: You don’t need someone reminding you about your daily duties.
You might have some gardening experience…but if you don’t then you at least have an interest in learning. You’re not afraid to be honest when you don’t know the answer and have no problem linking the customer up with sales staff that can help. You’re looking for a part time or full time job and are available to work weekends. Heat and rain don’t bother you because you prefer being outdoors.
Are you inexperienced on the register but have a passion for wanting to work at an independent garden center? Tell us your story and we’ll happily consider your application!
When it comes to gardening, you really know your stuff. You have a good five years of experience working in the gardening or landscape industry; better yet you have retail garden center experience. You have a solid feel for our Houston climate and are very comfortable making good plant recommendations. Hot weather? Not a problem for you because you prefer to be outdoors. Rain? No problem either, because you won’t melt. Dirt under your fingernails? Always.
You know how important it is to help customers be successful and you’re focused on teaching them the best way to use what they buy. When you see a customer you know it’s your first priority to make contact and welcome them. Then, help them focus on products that will help them be successful with their project. Providing the most accurate information about the plants and products is key to building trust with the customer. If they’re not successful the first time around, you’ll be there to get them back on track with a smile!
You also know that in order to make great sales, plants and products need to look their best. So between customers, you have no problem watering, unloading racks or cleaning what needs to be cleaned. Because you’re self-motivated, you don’t need someone checking up on you to make sure you’re always being productive. You’re not afraid to admit what you don’t know or ask for help from other staff. You take pride in your work and have a passion for what you do. That passion might have led you to already complete a TCNP/TCLP certification. If so, that’s great! If it’s still on your to-do list, we’d love to help you complete it. You’re looking for full time or part time work and are available on weekends.
Are you a passionate gardener, but perhaps don’t have official industry experience? Or perhaps you have formal horticulture education but don’t quite yet have five years of experience? Tell us your story and we’ll happily consider your application!
Download Employment Application
(In Acrobat PDF Format – Opens in a new window)
- Buchanan’s Native Plants of Houston is one of the leaders in the garden center industry and a member of the Texas Nursery & Landscape Association (TNLA).
- Our reputation makes us an employer of choice for gardening professionals and experienced amateur gardeners alike.
- All team members receive training in the latest native plant information and organic gardening techniques. Full-time staff may qualify for vacation and insurance benefits.
- We prefer you apply in person — come in and fill out an application (you may attach your resume) or print from the link above and bring it in. You may also send your application in advance by fax or email.
Fax to: 713-864-6008, Attn: Employment
Email: hr@BuchanansPlants.com and use “Employment” in the subject line.
Buchanan’s is a great place to grow.