We have a great selection of assorted soils, composts, mulches and soil amendments. Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to help you select the right product and determine how much you will need.
What’s the Difference?
A guide to soils, compost & mulches.
The terms can get a bit confusing, so here is a simple reference guide:
- Soils are the foundation in the garden, the base if you will. It is comprised primarily of sand, silt and clay particles as well as various trace minerals. There are many types of soil blends that are created for different applications. Garden mix soil makes a great base for raised beds. Potting soil is usually a soilless sterile mixture of raw materials (coir, peat, vermiculite, perlite, etc. ) used for starting seeds, and container plantings. A good potting soil should be porous for root aeration and drainage while retaining water and nutrients.
- Compost is decomposed organic matter (leaves, small tree limbs, food waste, manure) which when added to the soil improves it’s fertility and supports benefical microbes, insects, fungi and bacteria in the soil.
- Mulch is similar to compost, but usually just contains decomposed tree and shrub material. It is placed on top of the soil to keep moisture in, weeds from growing and roots cool. It breaks down over time and feeds the soil too.
Nature’s Way Leaf Mold Compost
Back by Popular Demand!
It’s back! Nature’s Way Leaf Mold Compost is a high quality compost that is produced primarily from recycled leaves, with a little grass, and horse manure mixed in. It is slowly composted to ensure the highest quality. It is then screened to ensure consistency and size. This product is rich in beneficial microbes and we highly recommend its use on lawns, vegetable gardens, annuals, and in flower beds.
Lady Bug Natural Brand
The famous blend of five beneficial composts with a trace of minerals. Made from the highest quality compost available. The blend of humus and manure composts provides a wide variety of beneficial fungal and bacterial microorganisms. Some plants prefer to be surrounded by beneficial fungal microorganisms while others do well with bacterial microorganisms. The Revitalizer™ Compost can be used for enriching and improving the texture of garden soils; loosening heavy clay and compacted soils; top dressing gardens, landscapes, and lawns; mulching around trees and shrubs; and stimulating microbial life for natural disease suppression and nutrient availability and uptake.
Citrus & Fruit Tree Soil
The Ground Up (TGU)
The Handcrafted Citrus & Fruit Tree Soil is a rich, well-draining planting soil which is a combination of various high quality soils, compost & amendments from The Ground Up. It includes the Vegan Compost, Expanded Shale, Dark-Aged Pine Bark, Special Reserve Greensand, large-grain angular sand, microbial foods, essential minerals & calcium. Lots of essential nutrients for maximum growth & production. Inoculated with more than 70 trace minerals, seaweed, molasses, humic acid & endo / ectomycorrhizae.
Great for in-ground or container plantings of citrus, fruit, nuts & avocados.
Rose and Azalea Soil
The Ground up (TGU)
Premium Rose & Azalea Soil is perfect for all acid-loving plants and includes ourHandcrafted Vegan Compost, dark-aged pine bark, large-grain angular sand, Special Reserve Greensand, microbial foods & essential minerals. Excellent for any garden or flowerbed containing plants requiring soil with a lower pH level, such as roses, azaleas, begonias, citrus, hydrangeas, & magnolias.
Vortex Potting Soil
Lady Bug Natural Brand
High performance formula consisting of a blend of five beneficial compost, mineral sand, expanded shale and perlite. The Vortex™ Potting Soil can be used for all your container gardening needs.
If you should decide to start seeds, please be sure to screen the Vortex due to the expanded shale and mineral sand. You can successfully grow house plants, annuals, perennials, herbs, vegetables, citrus, succulents, and cacti in this potting soil. Vortex Potting Soil is compost based and will produce a leachate of compost tea. We recommend that you protect sensitive surfaces from staining.
Make your own compost!
To get your own compost started, we have a great selection of bins, tumblers & compost accelerators, including:
- UpCycle Compost Tumblers
- Compost Bins – Earth Machine ‘Darth Vader’ (pictured) & Trash Burner Composter.
- Compost Accelerators – Humates, Molasses, Vegan Compost, Soil Activators.