We have a great selection of assorted soils, composts, mulches and soil amendments. Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to help you select the right product and determine how much you will need.
What’s the Difference?
A guide to soils, compost & mulches.
The terms can get a bit confusing, so here is a simple reference guide:
- Soil is the foundation of the garden — the base. It is comprised primarily of sand, silt and clay particles as well as various trace minerals. There are many types of soil blends that are created for different applications. Garden mix soil makes a great base for raised beds. Potting soil is usually a soilless sterile mixture of raw materials (coir, peat, vermiculite, perlite, etc. ) used for starting seeds, and container plantings. A good potting soil should be porous for root aeration and drainage while retaining water and nutrients.
- Compost is decomposed organic matter (leaves, small tree limbs, food waste, manure) which when added to the soil improves it’s fertility and supports benefical microbes, insects, fungi and bacteria in the soil.
- Mulch is similar to compost, but usually just contains decomposed tree and shrub material. It is placed on top of the soil to keep moisture in, weeds from growing and roots cool. It breaks down over time and feeds the soil too.
Improve your soil!
Expanded Shale is the answer to soils cursed with excess sand or heavy clay. Its size helps produce air flow, which provides oxygen to the roots and improves water retention in sandy soils. Expanded Shale is porous, high-temperature fired clay that never breaks down and can hold 38% of its weight in water. It is highly recommended to use expanded shale for every planting!
Nature’s Way & Buchanan’s Compost Tea
Coming back this spring!
We’re partnering with Nature’s Way Resources to create a superior Compost Tea. This is John Ferguson’s recipe and consists of Nature’s Way Leaf Mold Compost, Nature’s Way Fungal Compost, greensand, vermicompost and other beneficial ingredients.
Compost Tea improves:
- Nutrient retention in soil
- Nutrient availability to your plants
- Defense against insects and disease
- Soil quality and consistency
- …And more!
Fox Farm: Ocean Forest
Now in two sizes!
The same great product is now available in a smaller bag – 12 quarts in addition to the original 1.5 cubic foot. Fox Farm’s Ocean Forest potting soil is amended with earthworm castings, bat guano, kelp meal, fish meal, and crab meal. This premium organic soil requires no additional compost, perlite, or shale.
Nature’s Way Remineralizer
Most soils along the Gulf Coast are deficient in trace elements that act like vitamins for plants and microbes. The result is that plants have reduced growth and production, and they are more susceptible to damage by insects and diseases. The remineralizer blend contains Texas greensand, basalt, and granite sand: the three most powerful and cost effective minerals available.