We have a great selection of assorted soils, composts, mulches and soil amendments. Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to help you select the right product and determine how much you will need.
What’s the Difference?
A guide to soils, compost & mulches.
The terms can get a bit confusing, so here is a simple reference guide:
- Soils are the foundation in the garden, the base if you will. It is comprised primarily of sand, silt and clay particles as well as various trace minerals. There are many types of soil blends that are created for different applications. Garden mix soil makes a great base for raised beds. Potting soil is usually a soilless sterile mixture of raw materials (coir, peat, vermiculite, perlite, etc. ) used for starting seeds, and container plantings. A good potting soil should be porous for root aeration and drainage while retaining water and nutrients.
- Compost is decomposed organic matter (leaves, small tree limbs, food waste, manure) which when added to the soil improves it’s fertility and supports benefical microbes, insects, fungi and bacteria in the soil.
- Mulch is similar to compost, but usually just contains decomposed tree and shrub material. It is placed on top of the soil to keep moisture in, weeds from growing and roots cool. It breaks down over time and feeds the soil too.
EPOCH Rain Barrels
Rain Barrels are a great way to save money on water for your lawn and Garden. Epoch Solutions rain barrels are repurposed or “upcycled” high quality food-grade 55 gallon drums that were destined for a landfill. One rain barrel can save the average homeowner about 1,300 gallons of water during the peak summer months.
Composting comes with many great benefits for the environment, your livelihood, and your garden! It requires little amount of time, as little as 10 minutes a week, for many advantages. Some being:
- Nutrient Rich Soil
- Reduces use of artificial fertilizer
- Can reduce garbage by 30%
- Reduces landfilling, which reduces a lot of things!
Product Highlight: FOX FARM SOILS
Back by popular demand! Since the Fox Farm soils are creating such hype we have decided to bring back select soils and introduce a new Fox Farm Potting mix.
Fox Farm Ocean Forest – This premium organic potting soil needs no additional compost, perlite, or shale. This mixture can be planted in directly! It is packed with nutrients such as: Earthworm castings, bat guano, kelp meal, and fish & crab meal.
Fox Farm Soil Conditioner – A great all-purpose soil conditioner that acts as compost. This mixture consists of finely screened, pH balanced aged forest products, earthworm castings, bat guano, and beneficial microbes that stimulate root development and help plants access nutrients in soil.
NEW Fox Farm Salamander Soil – This new potting soil from Fox Farm was designed to hold more water so you can water less often. Salamander is 60-70% coco coir and contains beneficial microbes that all plants need. This soil is great for all your potting needs but is ideal for seeds and cutting, also anyone who is tired of dry hanging baskets!
New! Nature’s Way
Rose Soil & Citrus Mix
ROSE SOIL – Recommended and formulated by the Houston Rose Society. Nature’s Way Rose Soil is a mixture of true composted and screened topsoil, washed sand, and leaf mold compost. Microlife organic fertilizer, granite sand, and Texas green sand are added enriching the soil even further. This is a complete soil mix and contains everything for the first year of growth in ground or container.
CITRUS MIX – This mix was formulated to solve the root rot problems for citrus grown in containers, but is also great for in ground planting. It contains a mix of composted mulches, compost, topsoil, expanded shale for extra aeration, greensand to meet the higher fertility needs of citrus, Microlife organic fertilizer, and Ag-Lime for the extra calcium that citrus need.
Buchanan’s & Nature’s Way Compost Tea
We’re partnering with Nature’s Way Resources to create a superior Compost Tea. This is John Ferguson’s recipe and consists of Nature’s Way Leaf Mold Compost, Nature’s Way Fungal Compost, greensand, vermicompost in addition to 19 beneficial ingredients. Come by this weekend and pick up a fresh gallon. Use your tea as soon as possible – It’s alive!
Compost Tea improves:
- Nutrient retention in soil
- Nutrient availability to your plants
- Defense against insects and disease
- Soil quality and consistency
- …And more
Nature’s Way Leaf Mold Compost
Back by Popular Demand!
It’s back! Nature’s Way Leaf Mold Compost is a high quality compost that is produced primarily from recycled leaves, with a little grass, and horse manure mixed in. It is slowly composted to ensure the highest quality. It is then screened to ensure consistency and size. This product is rich in beneficial microbes and we highly recommend its use on lawns, vegetable gardens, annuals, and in flower beds.
Lady Bug Natural Brand
The famous blend of five beneficial composts with a trace of minerals. Made from the highest quality compost available. The blend of humus and manure composts provides a wide variety of beneficial fungal and bacterial microorganisms. Some plants prefer to be surrounded by beneficial fungal microorganisms while others do well with bacterial microorganisms. The Revitalizer™ Compost can be used for enriching and improving the texture of garden soils; loosening heavy clay and compacted soils; top dressing gardens, landscapes, and lawns; mulching around trees and shrubs; and stimulating microbial life for natural disease suppression and nutrient availability and uptake.
Vortex Potting Soil
Lady Bug Natural Brand
High performance formula consisting of a blend of five beneficial compost, mineral sand, expanded shale and perlite. The Vortex™ Potting Soil can be used for all your container gardening needs.
If you should decide to start seeds, please be sure to screen the Vortex due to the expanded shale and mineral sand. You can successfully grow house plants, annuals, perennials, herbs, vegetables, citrus, succulents, and cacti in this potting soil. Vortex Potting Soil is compost based and will produce a leachate of compost tea. We recommend that you protect sensitive surfaces from staining.