GARDENING TO-DO LIST
- Continue planting trees, shrubs, rose bushes and perennials. Planting now will ensure better survival next spring/summer and earlier growth and blooms.
- Plant fall and winter color – pansies, dianthus, snapdragons, alyssum, ornamental kale and cabbage, dusty miller, etc.
- Plant herbs and winter veggies. Cilantro, parsley, dill, mint, lavender and rosemary. Lettuce, spinach and other greens are just weeks from the salad bowl. Start onion sets, leeks and garlic now for spring harvest.
- Plant bulbs between Halloween and Thanksgiving for the holidays: Crocus, anemones, freesia, ranunculus, alliums, lycoris, etc. Plant paperwhites in pots by November 11th (Armistice Day) for blooming in time for Christmas. Refrigerate tulips until New Year’s Day, then plant every two weeks through Valentine’s Day for longer bloom time.
- Plant wildflower seeds through November – bluebonnets, paintbrush, larkspur, etc. Also plant sweet pea seeds in November for better results in spring.