Houston Gardening by Month
Things to do in July
1. Water deeply, especially trees. Don’t rely on your sprinkler system to water adequately in summer.
2. Check irrigation systems for proper function – may need to extend the watering periods to make sure roots are watered.
3. Maintain mulch at 2-3” depth – add new mulch if needed – to conserve moisture
4. Prepare vegetable gardens for fall planting – pull weeds & add compost
5. Plant vegetable plants: tomato, peppers, squash & cucumbers. Plant herbs: basil, oregano, thyme
6. Plant pumpkin seeds for October Jack-O-Lanterns. Other seeds to plant: corn, cucumber, okra, black-eyed peas, beans, cantaloupe
7. Identify insect and fungal problems and treat with least toxic solution
8. Feed the birds. Keep bird baths clean and filled with fresh water
9. Eliminate standing water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding
10. Deadhead annuals and perennials to encourage a great fall showing
11. Stay hydrated and protect yourself from UV rays (sunscreen/hats/sunglasses).